The new curriculum has a much higher expectation for all pupils with regard to their spelling.
Under the new assessment framework children in each year group will be assessed as to whether they are working:
- Below / towards expectations for their age
- at expectations for their age
- at greater depth for their age
Children have to meet all criteria in order to be at age related expectations. So, for example, if a child meets all the criteria except the spelling they will be judged as working below expectations for their age.
As a school we will aim to meet this higher expectation and have decided on a new range of initiatives (see below) that promote children to value accurate spelling in their work:
- Increased input/guided/taught sessions. Teachers will aim for a daily 10 minute provision e g 8.50-9.00am or 1.05-1.15pm
- To make sure accurate spelling is in success criteria of lessons
- In marking, staff will now highlight spelling errors in yellow (around 3 per piece of work- appropriate to age and ability). Children will correct the spelling themselves – writing 10 x
- If children have no errors (appropriate to age/ability) they will get a spelling bee sticker. If children get 10 spelling bee stickers they will be awarded a spelling bee badge in achievers