Stottesdon Gateway Nursery Curriculum
At Stottesdon Gateway Nursery we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) which sets the standards for Learning, Development and Care for children from birth to five.
We believe that children learn best when they are healthy, safe and secure, when their individual needs are met and when they have positive relationships with the adults caring for them.
Working within the EYFS helps Stottesdon Gateway Nursery to create an environment that is welcoming, safe and stimulating, where children are able to enjoy themselves and where they can grow in confidence and fulfil their potential.
EYFS is a government initiative which sets out the legal requirements that cover safeguarding and ensuring children’s welfare, staff, premises, environment and equipment, organisation, documentation and reporting. There are four themes within the EYFS and they are as follows:-
- A Unique Child: Every child is a competent learner from birth who can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
- Positive Relationships: Children learn to be strong and independent from a base of loving and secure relationships with parents and/or a key person.
- Enabling Environments: The environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children’s development and learning.
- Learning and Development: Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates and all areas of Learning and Development are equally important and are inter-connected.
Learning and Development
The EYFS is made up of seven areas of Learning and Development and they are as follows:-
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Making relationships
- Self-confidence and self-awareness
- Managing feelings and behaviour
- Moving and handling
- Health and self-care
Communication and Language
- Listening and Attention
- Shape, space and measure
Understanding the World
- People and communities
- The world
Expressive Arts and Design
- Exploring and using media and materials
- Being imaginative